Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Proof of Growing up...

Chinese New Year is famous of family gatherings, visiting long lost relatives and friends. The topics are non other than current and past. I always like to listen old people talking about their past. They have gone through a lot of crazy things that I do not have the chance to do it in this city.

Talking about old people, I visited a friend of my late grandfather. I think I have not met him for a year. Past years he is the one who come to visit us, but this year we went to his house instead. I am shock to know that he is having so many kinds of old people decease and illness. He reminds me time flies, old people getting older and older, young people growing up, taking over the elder generation. And next the younger generation will be taking over ours.

We have grown up....

My ang pau this year is lesser than last year. I found an explanation on that. Some of my relatives and grandparents' freinds past away, and this make my ang pau getting lesser and lesser. Moreover there is no new source of ang pau, I think the coming years I will have lesser ang pau. Note, my point here is not about ang pau. I wanted to say the elder generation is leaving us one by one. We cannot deny that we are no longer the little children, collecting lots ang paus every year. This is a sad scenario. Not because of ang pau, but the permenant farewell from our beloved.

We have grown up....

I can see the evolution of questions that has been asked by relatives and parents' friend. When I was small, they asked me how much I have growth in height. When I was in school, they asked me my result. Recent years, they ask me if I have any boy friend. I can foresee next year they will be asking me my job, and the coming years when to get married, and then when going to have first child, second child and ....

We have grown up...

Last time, I attended my uncles and aunties wedding. Then I attended my cousins' wedding. Now I am attending friends' wedding. Next I will be attending younger brothers and sisters wedding. Then my son's and daughter's wedding. Then my friends' sons' and daughthers' wedding and so forth.

We have grown up....

I miss my childhood. I miss those people who were in my childhood. My grandpa, my dad, my primary school friends, my neighbour, my maid....I miss the things that I use in my childhood. My pillow, my school bag, my colour pencils, my stickers, my barbi dolls.....However, they are no longer here

I have grown up.....

No matter you want it or not, we have to accept the fact that we have grown up.

5 comments:

chewy_cheryl said...

yupe..do agree and there is no second chance of being at this spot in your life so cherish evrything and every moment u have:)

Brandon said...

This CNY actually fears me a bit, cause my generation is either getting married, married, laying kid or laid a few kids or died in accidents.

I have to admit, it was a strange chinese new year.

We have grown up.

-popjammerz- said...

:)when we're 10 years from now it's totally different again.

i have more than 10 nieces and nephews from my cousins now with the eldest being form 2.Probably in 10 years time I'll have my bro's kids calling me aunty d.:P

but every part of this life is worth living still :)

don't call me soonkit, call me J... y J? said...

maybe 10 years from now rue hann is mother to two aldy!

*winks to brandon*

waileong said...

i'm late..but i agree :D

still growth is an amazing thing
sometimes we change without us noticing :)

though being grown up isnt half as fun as growing up..we had our fun..so it's time for the new kids to have theirs ;)