Sunday, June 7, 2009

What ever run across my mind...

Just came back from yum cha and dinner with Elaine. Although she is not Malaysian, but meeting her is like meeting a Malaysian. She can understand me when I speak in Malaysian English, and Malaysian Chinese. She can speak with me in Malaysian language too. Her Mandrian and English has been influenced by Malaysian liow. And she got complain from her roommate in that. Haha. She knows what I am talking about when I told her the difference of Malaysia and China in term of food, culture and etc. I always want to tell someone the “jian bing” here looks like roti canai, but Malaysian wont know how “jian bing” looks like and chinese wont know what is roti canai. Finally I found some one who I can express my feeling about this. Haha

On the way meeting Elaine, I have lots of thoughts in my mind. I was walking, not cycling. Reason being I want to punish myself for eating Italian food yesterday night. Not only because it’s not Chinese food, it’s fatty and it’s expensive. Well, I went to Italian village ma. I don’t know what the name in English, it’s 意大利风情区. I found out that Tianjin very much influenced by Italian in the past. Not only there is such place, but the building in “Wudadao” also a lot of Italian design houses.
I have seen a lot of buildings this week. From the Europe style, British, Italian….(in Wudadao) to the Chinese style (in Drum Tower and Food street), and the Italian. All these are ancient buildings that were built way before I am born. They are all under reservation from the government . Most of them as been renovated in order to maintain it’s old looks. I love to visit these places.

Loki and I have been walking around town to find places of interest. We did plan where we want to go for the day but after we have reach first destination, we will take out the map and see our location, and find another location to go which is nearby. We have no idea whether the place can be reached by walking or not, We just walk. And look at the map, and walk again. Until we are lost, we asked people, and we search for the bus stand. When day turn dark, we find the nearest bus stand, look at the board, and find a bus that will stop at the place nearest to our home. So random! But it’s fun.

Sometimes I am tired to plan my trip. I need to do lots of research on where to go, how to go, what is it about (the history and what is interesting about it). Because I don’t have a tour guide to explain to me and to bring me around! At that moment I feel like want to pay a tour agency and get me a tour guide who plans everything for me, I just need to follow and listen. But when I walk on the street with the info and map on my hand, I feel so adventurous.And when I have found the place, it feel so great and satisfy. Yes, the sense of achievement. Sarega is right. We are young, why we need to follow tour agency, explore ourselves la!

About work. I have got another present from a student. It’s some kiddo thing that I think I am going to give my sis alter. Well it’s not what she gives me, it’s her heart. That day I was late for class. When I enter the class, everyone clapped. I was shock! They love my class. I can see, they really love it. I don’t know why. I only go to their class once a week, and so far only 4 times I been there. I can’t describe the feeling. Probably the most simple word is – happy. These are form 1 kids. And now, every time I dismiss the class, they will ask me if I am coming again on the next week. Some of the standard 4 kids did show interest to my class. They always approach me and ask me things regarding on protecting environment after I dismiss the class. A girl asked : “Can you tell me how Malaysian protect the environment?” I paused. Oh man, how can I tell her Chinese are doing much better than Malaysian in this issue!

Talking about environment protection, I get very interested into this issue. 6th June was World Environment Day. I only remember that when I saw the news on TV after I got back from schools. Sad that I didn’t share this with the kids. Forget about Chinese government policies and actions, let’s just talk about what I can see from the daily life, it’s very much better then in Malaysia. Taking stair case in an apartment, the light is control by sound. Meaning only when there is foot steps, the light will on. I never see that in Malaysia. May be because I am not living in apartment gua. They also save water and electric. The house I am staying will collect the water released from the washing machine and use it to flash toilet. Some times I feel guilty when I forget to do that!

Learning. So far, I have learnt a lot regarding on my internship issue – Clean Energy. What are the advantages and disadvantages using them? Why we need them? Is it feasible to all the countries in the world? If not, what modification should be done? What is the impact on the environment and on the citizen if they are to further develop? These are the knowledge I have gain from my research. Also, this internship gives me a great opportunity to practice my public speaking and teaching skills. I found out that there are still a lot of “erm” in my speech, I need to practice more! I also start to understand what is AIESEC internship all about. I will not satisfy if my internship is about travelling to various places, take some pictures and come back. I know, travelling around and mixing with the locals can give me an eye opening experience, but I also want to create an impact to the local. I did shock them with some Malaysian culture, but I want to create more impact on the kids I am teaching on my project. That’s why I am here for Green Power and not Teaching English or HIV. I starting to see the result, I hope to see more. In term of AIESEC, I really think I can be a good ICXer when I return. (but I don’t think I want…hehe) Like Ren Chang said, “so now you know how it feels when you are not treated well in an internship”. Intern servicing is as important as matching and delivering. It will affect the AIESEC image as a whole! I see how bad some countries doing in matching and delivering (No worries, I am not talking about @ Msia or MoC, just some stories from a friend of mine)

Wow, another long post! Got to stop now, laptop no batteries liow. (I miss Malaysian language. Next time got to write in Malaysian English.)

No comments: